Friday, June 12, 2009

The Face of God?

(Author's note - I make no pretension of knowing God's mind - but rather am reflecting here my own feelings about what I think I am called to do.)



Author Glen Cook writes a series of books called the "Black Company." The books are about a mercenary band of hardened, ruthless, professional killers. At the conclusion, Glen has the ethically tormented primary character consider the nature of the collective human conscience:

"I am not religious. I cannot conceive of gods who would give a damn about humanity's frothy carryings-on. I mean, logically, beings of that order just wouldn't. But maybe there is a force for greater good, created by our unconscious minds conjoined, that becomes an independent power greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe, being a mindthing, it is not time-bound. Maybe, it can see everywhere and everywhen and move pawns so that what seems to be today's victory becomes the cornerstone of tomorrow's defeat."

Without intending to, Mr. Cook touches upon the nature of something I also believe, specifically, that God or Christ, or Allah or Y'weh intend and intended for us to learn to 'find our way' collectively, to love our neighbor truly, to not set ourselves above the rest of us, not just as a precondition to salvation, but in fact AS the salvation. That heaven is not a place, or a time, or a thing, but rather a time and a place and a thing bound up in the idea of choosing to be kind, and decent, and forgiving over hatred, division, exclusion, and unconcern.

I admit it is a leap from Mr. Cook to the above - and the association is only loose, but often each of us sees a shred of a truth, or relates to that truth, in a different, but meaningful way. My good friend DogGone had this to add

"..Your post reminded me of John Donne's "Meditations" ( XVII - I looked it up to be sure I had it right):"No man is an Island, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine.."spelling is a tad antique.... but there is a similar idea in there. The Asian custom of greeting with palms together, fingers upraised, has a premise that I have always appreciated - that when greeting another, you acknowledge their soul defined as a small piece of god inside each person that is also connected to all other souls, in essence simultaneously greeting the other and greeting god and greeting another part of your self. Joseph Campbell expresses it far more eloquently than I do."

The Christians often call this concept the Holy Spirit, and refer to it as God working through us in acts of Sanctification - and I have no issue with that. In fact, as an Episcopal, I am a member of a church known as the "Church of the Embodiment", in which we are strongly called to "see the face of God in the world around us." So, perhaps I have a bit more propensity than most to think of the temporal world as the place where God is manifest in our daily lives, but one essential point follows..

Whether we believe in God or not, and what we see God as (or see Gods as if you are so inclined), the concept of 'the old man in the sky" type of God is antiquated at best. Theologians of today do not (in the main) promote such an obeisant view. The idea of hierarchical fealty and gratitude is to me, NOT the message we are called to live or convey. In fact, such an approach, I believe promotes the idea of superiority of one group over another. Rather, instead, it seems we were and are called to recognize our equality and equivalence with one another AND our shared fate. We are bound within, as a human race, the fate we bring not just upon ourselves, but upon others.

So, I suggest that perhaps God, rather than working us like some giant puppet-master, instead meant to wind us up, teach us, and set us free. His design is (I hope) to create a world where the way is manifesting a love of man resulting in a more perfect world. That manifesting that love means recognizing and accepting each other, including loving our imperfections and our differences. I therefore believe those who preach violence (like the murderer of Dr. Tiller), or division, or contempt, or disregard for the plight of others - who preach ever shrinking circles of care - are "straying far from the path" Christians are called to walk (or as DogGone clearly says - other religions call for as well). I believe, and feel there is abundant evidence of, in fact that it is more about the journey, i.e. walking the Samaritan's path & finding the face of God in the world around us- than it is about the destination, and that this is precisely what God (or Allah/Y'weh/Vishnu/Brahma/Shiva) intends.

11 comments:

  1. The opening lines of your final paragraph remind me of an updated version of the "Watchmaker God" many of the U.S.'s Founders espoused. (It's updated in that it leaves room for a slightly more-involved "God," if that's what one wishes to call it.)

    Thank you for this post. I am a believer in much the same notion of "God" as you state you believe in. But, more than that, I appreciate your willingness to work-through your ideas related to this topic in this public forum.

    (I similarly disagree with the antiquated view of the hierarchical "God," and I am thankful that you tackled that sometimes tricky subject. This is an issue that our country struggles with more than most Western countries these days, for very understandable historical reasons.)

    This posting reminds me of Franklin D. Roosevelt's famous words from 1945, as the U.S., and much of the rest of the world, came to terms with years of world war:

    "We have learned that we cannot live alone, at peace; that our own well-being is dependent on the well-being of other nations far away. We have learned that we must live as men, not as ostriches, nor as dogs in the manger.

    "We have learned to be citizens of the world, members of the human community.

    "We have learned the simple truth, as Emerson said, that 'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' We can gain no lasting peace if we approach it with suspicion and mistrust or with fear."

    Those words, so very like the idea that we are bound spiritually together, were not--and are not--a call for the U.S. to display international "wimpishness." They are instead a call to reason, calculation, innovation, self-reflection, and true, steady global leadership.

    Just as we all deal with these ideas in unique manners on a personal spiritual level, we ought to continue to strive for a similar thoughtful approach to challenges on the national and international levels, rather than use our rich religious traditions in cheap manners in order to justify the worst aspects of the status quo.

    (And, lest I be accused of being "soft," let me also state emphatically that the ideas in the above paragraph also apply to those who are at present our adversaries.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.

    Of course, three of the world's faiths have the same God, the God of Abraham. Isn't it interesting how the concept of God has changed over the thousands of years?

    The God of the early Israelites was a vengeful, angry God. He slew their enemies for them, and authorized and even commanded the Israelites to kill men, women and children. There are some today who read the passages of the Old Testatement as a justification for war. These same people also conveniently forget Christ's words that He was sent to give to God's people a new covenent. He also gave to us a new commandment. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another" John 13:34.

    Our modern view of God, (or Allah or Y'weh, etc., has evolved quite a bit from mankind's understanding of God at the time of Christ. Heaven was a place, as was Hell. Although Christ taught that God is pure love, I honestly don't think that most if any of the early disciples really got it.

    I don't believe that mankind can become God. But, I do think that by opening up our hearts and minds, that by letting Him guide us, we do His acts here on earth. God did give us, His greatest creation, free will. We have to let Him into our lives, and then, through His spirit cominging into us, we become holy in ourselves. Paul expressed it nicely in 2 Corinthians 5-6. "5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

    Like my friend Penigma, I don't believe that God excludes anyone from His love. We are all God's children, and any who invite Him into our lives will be touched by the divine and bettered in that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mind wandered off in an entirely different direction from Hasslington and Thoughts of Eternity.

    I thought about the writings of Karl Jaspers, his concept of an axial or pivotal age, occurring between 800 BC and 200 BC. He wrote, ""the spiritual foundations of humanity were laid simultaneously and independently... And these are the foundations upon which humanity still subsists today".

    The era that ecompassed the rise of Platonism, Buddhism, Confusionism, Zoroastrionism, and Judaism, all apparently occurring more or less independently from each other.

    Of course, not all of my thoughts are so deep and serious. I am sometimes the victim of my own irreverent whimsey. Thinking of God and Heaven, and of Hell, the concept of Hell not as a place, but the absence of God came to mind. Which in turn was followed by an inescapable visualization of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, an altered figure of God not touching finger tip to finger tip with Adam, but rather looking away pointedly, holding up the palm of His hand in the very modern, not renaissance pose... And, in this age of CGI, imagining the animated figure of God snapping his fingers in exasperation with mankind.

    I can't be serious ALL of the time; there IS a certain spirituality in humor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hass,

    You need to understand ToE's perspective - he's a Jesuit Priest. I don't think he'd be fullfilling his vows if he said other than what he said above. I appreciate all of your comments (DG, Hass, ToE), each of you is an articulate and thoughtful person who expands well upon my original thoughts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penigma, thank you for the clarification.

    As someone who attended a Jesuit university, I feel badly about what I wrote, though I do believe in what I said.

    My tone was out of line, however. My only excuse for it is that I was up most of the night last night, as I have been often lately, thinking about a very ill grandparent.

    That grandparent died this morning. I think things are much better for him now that he is at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hasslington,

    I am sorry to hear of the death of your grandparent. The loss of anyone who is dear to us is always a tragedy.

    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post of some of my beliefs, and in some ways, I differ from official theology.

    I don't believe in a God that condems anyone to "hell", simply because of non-belief. Christianity, Islam and Judaism worship the same God, and each sees Him in its own way. What I was trying to do, without being explicit, was to condemn those of some sects of Christianity who would exclude some classes of people from God's love.

    "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whomever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have eternal life" John 3:16 These words aren't just empty rhetoric. God loves the entire word. Not just the Jews. Not just the Gentiles. Everyone. Over time, we have interpreted away the last part of that passage, to mean that everyone who believes in God will not perish, rather than being a completely Christian-centric faith.

    At any rate, if I offended you somehow with my post, Hasslington, I humbly apologize. May blessings be upon you, and upon your grandparent. I am certain that God's love surrounds him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there is true merit in the concept that an important aspect of spirituality is a sense, an awareness, of connection that extends beyond oneself.

    I'm relieved that my whimsical alteration of a much-loved, much-revered artistic classic did not offend anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It certainaly didn't offend me. I think God has to have a sense of humor. Some of His creations are truly hysterical if you think of it. Remember: aerodynamically, a bumblebee can't fly... but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hass,
    Condolences to you and your family on your loss. Grandparents have a special place in our hearts, and it is difficult to see them become frail and infirm.

    There are no short cuts to dealing with grief, so I will simply wish you strength in going through that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Regarding my grandfather, thank you, everyone. He lived a (very)long life.

    Regarding this website, I read each and every entry, though I don't comment on every one.

    ReplyDelete