Sunday, March 21, 2010

Historic Day?

Today, after 60 years of trying, we may finally get some serious reform of our health care system. It doesn't go far enough, it doesn't provide true competition to health care insurance (which operates at a 26% administrative cost - 4-6 times higher than Medicare) - it doesn't ensure universal coverage, it doesn't reign in run away utilitzation - but it is a good start. It may be the best we can do for now.

I hear from my friends about concerns about how it will negatively affect Medicare, yet I have no concerns about Medicare, it is the most postively supported program in congress (with the exception of the neo-ultra-cons who want to get rid of it). The cuts to waste proposed aren't unreasonable.

I have also heard complaints about taxes, that those above $250,000 will see a tax increase.

Yesterday, I did my 2010 taxes, and for the first time, I'm subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax. I do not look at myself as misfortunate, rather the opposite, I'm lucky that my job (and my wife's) pay enough that I am in a group that has to consider this additional tax. If I have to, oh well, would it be better to make less? Would it be better to say I'd rather not provide help?

The same thing is true of the $250k additional tax, people in that bracket are fortunate to have jobs which provide that kind of income. If paying my fair share (which isn't a flat percentage, people in that group have far more disposable income) to ensure we are decent and doing our christian duty, means paying a bit more, I at least do not mind. I would rather see to it people do not suffer or die, and pay a little more. As the man said when asked about giving up his cow (his only cow) to help the village, "I am not sad to lose my cow, I am glad I have a cow to give."

No comments:

Post a Comment