Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Father's Little Dividend, Part VI: Fear and Assumptions

"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery,
author, "The Little Prince", 1943 
(1900 - 1944),

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
   (and)
"My mother loved children -- she would have given anything if I had been one."
Groucho Marx
(1890 - 1977)

My godmother who is also my aunt, has told me over the years that I was a fearless child, and that I was even fearless as an infant.  By fearless, she said that I was not afraid of things that adults expected to frighten me.  I did not flinch or cry at sudden loud noises, for example at a few months old; instead I would look for the source, out of curiosity; sometimes I would even laugh. 

So perhaps there is some genetic component, rather than purely a choice of character, that underlies my difference of opinion, and my approach to fear.  I DO recall on more than one occasion expressing a certain exasperation to my parents when something I had done upset them, asserting, "Daaaaaaaaad, I'm brave. I'm NOT stupid."  I did many things, especially with animals (my parents had no rapport whatsoever with animals) that gave them rip roaring fits of fear, sometimes full-blown panic for my safety.  The other areas besides my interactions with animals which gave my parents pause (read near heart attack) were my curiosity about other people, especially people different than those I was accustomed to being around, and challenges to my physical skills and endurance.  Wherever we were, but especially when traveling, my parents never knew when they would turn around to find me having wandered off to speak with someone who intrigued me.  Sometimes the people who intrigued me upset my parents.  By 'sometimes' I mean often.


I think mom and dad were a little over-protective, but not a lot over-protective as parents, given the (ahem) unique challenges I presented to them; and given that I was adopted, and they had waited a long time for me to come into their lives.

Not one - NOT ONE - of the things I did that frightened my parents ever resulted in so much as a lost hair on my precious head. Not a scratch, not a bump or bruise, or an unpleasant emotion.

My father initiated a conversation on the subject, appropriately when we were not in the middle of one of my little 'adventures' or immediately after one.


We were sitting in my father's den; I was around the age of 4 - 5 years old.  I remember sitting on the upholstered arm of the chair with my legs across my father's lap, my feet resting on the seat of the chair, and my arm across his shoulder.  My father was encouraging me to be more thoughtful so as not to engage in the situations that were upsetting them.

I pointed out (this is a paraphrase of our conversation),  that my father made decisions not on the basis of fear, but on the basis of intellect.  I asked him if as a naval aviatior in WW II, had he ever been afraid, knowing he had performed particularly dangerous reconnaissance flying.  He admitted he had been afraid sometimes.  I pointed out he had flown anyway, because he consciously made the decision that doing those things were more important than the fear.  I explained to my father, very patiently, that I sometimes felt an initial fear, but that fear was never for me the end point of making a decision; it was the starting point of my decision making, subordinate to rationality, which sometimes included exercising thoughtful curiosity.

We had a lengthy conversation during which I explained to my father that we differed in our assessment of these situations because we differed in the fundamental observations on which to form our decisions.  I pointed out very specifically that he relied far more - almost entirely - on superficial appearances.  I explained how I relied much more on behavioral observation, and almost not at all on the superficial qualities that were important to him; and gave him examples.  I went on to explain that this was the kind of thing I discussed with my mentor about whom I have written before in this series.  I think it was that last part as much as anything else which persuaded my father that I was in fact making decisions based on observations, careful evaluation of risk factors, and not on either pure emotion or unchecked impulses.  This was very much a different direction than my father had expected our conversation to take, and he sat there thinking silently for a few minutes just looking at me. My father was clearly taken aback by what I had said. He ended the conversation by pulling me down onto his lap, and giving me a big hug, and asking me, please, PLEASE, could I just scare my parents just a little less often, and take their reactions into consideration in my calculations too.  My too-honest response was that if I wasn't going to let my own initial fears stop me from doing something, it seemed just plain silly to let someone else's fears do so, but I would try, as a courtesy.

In the course of our conversation, I persuaded my father (never quite so successfully my mother) that while I was sometimes perhaps daring (ok - definitely daring), I was not reckless or foolish.  This I hope gave him some peace of mind over the years, but it also eventually changed my father for the better.

I had a somewhat parallel conversation with my grandfather, relating to expectations and assumptions.  My maternal grandfather was an avid outdoors man, enjoying all forms of hunting and fishing.  He had over the years tamed several wild animals which he kept as pets in addition to a series of dogs with which he hunted.  He had tamed at different times a raccoon, a fox, an owl and a crow. although all of them were from the time period well before I was born.  Rudy the fox in particular had the run of the my grandparents home despite my grandmother's expressed disapproval.  So it was inexplicable to me that my mother did not share that affinity for animals in any way.  My grandfather acknowledged that I had an unusual 'way with animals', but instead of sharing my feeling that it was a normal thing, he made the comment on more than one occasion that I must be a gypsy child, since I was adopted and there was no other way to his thinking to explain my ability.  As a tall, extremely fair skinned blue eyed Nordic-looking redhead, I didn't match up - in my mind - to the usual ideal of an ethnic Romany or gypsy, so I asked my grandfather what he meant.  He told me that when he was growing up sometimes gypsies came around, and that no one liked them, but they did have a similar inexplicable way with animals, he'd seen it himself.  To me, that 'way with animals' was simply another instance of observing behavior, omitting the reliance on superficial qualities and assumptions that got in the way of everyone else doing the exact same thing.

Unlike my father, my mentor, and many of the teachers in my life, who I felt accepted me as who I was and embraced those qualities my sense of my grandfather was that he required conformity to his expectations whether high or low.  On at least one occasion he told me I was too smart for my own good. My comeback to grandpa was that I refused to be dumb just to make him happy.  Grandfather found my response disrespectful, but it was a rare instance where disrespect did not result in being hit.  My maternal grandmother found my response funny, but she never dared laugh about it when grandfather was around.  While I have absolute conviction that my maternal grandfather loved me deeply, and I loved him, I recognized from an early age that differences were frightening to him on a visceral level, almost like superstition. While those same differences simply engaged my curiosity.  My grandfather's response to differences, to fears, was to assert control,  or to try to dominate.  To the extent that I might be smarter than he was - his fear - or just have a different ability or an ability to a greater degree, all placed me outside and beyond that control.

Fast forward to my senior year of high school.  I worked part time at our local county library a few days a week after school and on weekends.  Usually I had access to our second car, used by my mother the rest of the time, to get to and from work.  On one middling cold day in February, my father's car was in the shop for routine maintenance, so he had taken my mother's car to work.  We had arranged that one of my parents would be waiting for me when the library closed at 9 p.m.  When closing came, no one was waiting for me.  I insisted that I would be fine, that the librarians who had already had a long day should go on home, that someone would be there shortly; so they left. (Readers may have guessed by now that I was a somewhat fiercely independent young woman.)

After half an hour of waiting, I was getting very cold.  I tried calling several friends, but they couldn't get come to pick me up.  Eventually, I broke down and called the ex-boyfriend with whom I had recently broken up so as to date a couple of college students.  He drove me home, where I was surprised to find an empty house; no parents, no sibling.  Up until that point I had assumed there was simply some miscommunication, and I started to become seriously worried because of the late hour.  Bless him, my ex-boyfriend called his parents so they wouldn't worry, explained the situation, and that he was gong to stay with me until we figured out what was going on.  I was fond of his parents, and appreciated their offer to be of help if I needed it. Even more I appreciated their respect for my insistence that events were under control for the time being.  My parents had very predictable habits; for them to be out on a week night other than a special event, meeting, etc. was highly unusual.

My parents and sibling had gone out shopping after dinner, while I was working at the library.  On the way to pick me up (they hadn't forgotten), the car had a flat tire.  My father had taken a short cut through what he considered a 'bad area'; that was where they had the flat.  A black man, in clothing that my father thought of racially, came up to the car and offered to help with the flat tire.  My father's initial reaction was to expect ill-intent, but he later told me that night that he decided to try a different approach, based on that early conversation and subsequent conversations about assumptions and superficial appearances.  The very nice black man helped with the tire, and refused any offer of payment, although he and my father exchanged names.  My father believed the man could have very much used the money, but he explained that helping a stranger was part of his faith, and he happened to mention the Baptist church nearby where he was a member.

When he got home I thought my father told me he figured I'd get myself home, that I'd 'deal' with the situation.  And he gave me a bit of grief about how it felt to be on the other side of worrying about family members as well.  My ex-boyfriend went home; my parents called his parents, to explain.  My dad gave me an extra hug that night when I went off to bed, and told me he tried what I had talked about -- looking at behavior, looking past assumptions and superficial appearances. I jokingly reminded him I was a smart kid. Dad did do something nice, far nicer than the initial compensation he offered the man who helped him, through the minister of his church.  While what he did was anonymously, I think the man probably knew.  I teased him that he was being extra extra nice because he felt guilty for expecting the worst, and he agreed he probably was.

In the discussion about the Juan Williams controversy, statements have been made about regarding black Americans in 'thug gear' and crime, as similar to fears about people from predominantly Muslim parts of the world and terrorism.  I have thought about the ineffectiveness of ethnic and racial profiling.  I have thought about the tools against terrorism of behavioral profiling which is far more effective.  But most of all I have thought about the ways in which we rise to the occasion of challenges, of assumptions, and of fears.  I don't understand why more people don't 'read' animal reactions and behavior the way I do.  When I read the work of behaviorists like Turid Rugaas, the exceptional Norwegian scientist who was awarded her PhD for extensive studies observing canine behavior, or the biography of Monty Roberts, better known as the 'Horse Whisperer', or Jeff Koons when he wrote about animals and same sex attraction in the New York Time's article "Can Animals Be Gay"  I feel a tremendous vindication for observation that is different from assumption and expectation.

I look at Juan Williams, and Bill O'Reilly, and the many islamophobic ideas people have about Muslims, but not just Muslims, also about many other people, any people, who have some kind of perceived difference from themselves.  That fear is based on false premises and bad information.  There is nothing whatsoever wrong with acknowledging fears; there is everything wrong with only acknowledging fear without doing something further, something constructive, something logical.  So long as they hang on tightly to those assumptions, those preconceptions, and maintain a deathgrip on their counterproductive fears, there will be no good working solutions.  Only fear; and from that fear, comes anger; and from that anger, comes more conflict.  We each of us - and this includes Juan Williams and Bill O'Reilly - MUST think better, must react with our heads and not our guts.  We cannot afford to begin AND end with foolish fears; we cannot afford the price of false assumptions.  Those individuals especially who have a persuasive place in the media should use it to push back against those fears, not trade on them for more money.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent post!

    I'll take it one more step personally. Williams VALIDATES and PERPETUATES bigottry when he says, "I am human, I am fearful, and that's natural.." without then saying "but my job as a thinking human being isn't to live by fear. As FDR said, 'The only the we have to fear is fear itself.' which means I can't let fear rule my decisions because I'll make poor ones, I'll trade away freedoms and I'll deny intellect. My job and my personal responsibility is to look PAST the visual and the ethnic stereotyping, to the person."

    Had Williams said that, he'd be applauded by all. Since he only said the first part, he primarily is only applauded by those whose sense of guilt at being discriminatory he just assuaged, by those whose bigottry he just validated and reinforced. You'd think he'd know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Per an earlier off-blog exchange with Pen, I will share a further detail of the memorable conversation with my father that I describe in Fathers Little Dividend VI.

    The detail which persuaded my father that I knew what I was doing, that it was not impulse or emotion but intellect was to describe an example of HOW it was I interacted with animals differently than other people, explaining what it was I did.

    I explained to my father that, for example, people pet dogs wrong. My father was skeptical; this is a simple, straightforward act.

    I told my father that I had noticed at a very early age that when people pet a dog they do so by making a movement that touches dogs on the top of their heads and faces. That was wrong. If you observe dogs, every time a person does that, their eyes close partially and very suddenly - they flinch. Even if they enjoy being petted or receiving affection from humans, they flinch with their eyes, sometimes with their heads and even the rest of their bodies.

    I pointed out that I touched dogs differently. That I was aware of when a dog had adequately recognized me, acknowledged me through my scent - something other people were oblivious about. And that I always touched a dog from the side and slightly lower part of the head, working my way up by touch behind the ears, and only then, when they were accepting of my touch, did I move on to the top of the head or face. And then I demonstrated to my father what I meant. I told him to take his own hand, extended flat, palm towards his face from about two feet away, and move it rapidly towards his face, primarily the area around his eyes, nose and forehead....and asked him if he felt the desire to flinch. I then elaborated on that new awareness by explaining that it was obvious to me that dogs, having an extended face, especially their muzzles, had an even more pronounced reaction, that their vision up close was different, that the reaction was more emphasized, than humans with our comparatively flatter facial structure, ability to see color and other visual differences. It was not until I was older, taking a summer science class dissecting animal eye balls that I came to more fully understand things like the difference in the receptors in the eye.

    But what I understood then was sufficient for me to explain to my father that from the very beginning I interacted differently with dogs than other people did, that it was a way of interacting that operated on a different observation and understanding, and that those two things were sufficient to explain better than my grandfather's gypsy theory why it was animals behaved so very, very differently with me, why and how I understood them differently than other people. Especially adult 'other people'.

    I found adults generally far more closed minded, with the exception of my adult friend and mentor. I patiently explained that he listened to these things and understood me. That he had expressed the thought that he didn't want other adults 'ruining' a good mind with closed minded conformity - not even my father.

    And I explained that I understood why my maternal grandfather was the way he was. That he loved me very much even if he didn't understand or was uncomfortable because he didn't understand. I made it clear I had no intention of trying to teach him; that grandpa wasn't willing to learn. But if he was willing to love me without understanding me, I could love him back, despite his closed minded way of thinking. I was anything but subtle in making it clear I was challenging my father as well.
    continued

    ReplyDelete
  3. After explaining how my mentor had guided me to identifying objectively what I had observed, and used intuitively, I moved on to the subject of fear.

    I described to my father some of our conversations about fear, that he had (in a simplified way) told me about adrenaline reactions. I understood that feeling when I had it, I recognized it. I explained, patiently, to my father that it was my mentor having taught me that fear had a use, in response to danger, but other than that use it got in the way. That each of us can and should think instead of reacting to fear, that it took a very real focus of the mind over emotion. And that when that with that focus, that decision to impose reason, fear receded, effectively disappeared. I explained to my father that was how I had gotten over a period of several months when I had woken up my parents because I was having horrible nightmares, full night terrors. That was when I explained to my father that I was brave, not stupid. That I routinely engaged in thought, and that I applied reason and equally careful observation to that which I brought to interacting with animals to potential danger...or lack of danger...including other people.

    Not many people are able to do what I do with dogs (horses, hamsters, snakes, tarantulas, etc.). But everyone - EVERYONE - is capable of using their intellect, the power of thinking, over fear. I would assume, Pen, ToE, it is part of what takes place in the most basic training for example provided by the military.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know which country hasn't had an airliner hijacked or blown up since about the 70's, and is right in the middle of a bunch of people that would love to do that to them? Israel and they use behavioural profiling at the airport. I read, and having been there once can verify this is true although I hardly noticed it at the time, that from the time you enter the parking lot til you get on the plane you are approached by at least 6 to7 security personel. Some just stick their head up to your car window and say hi but they are all trained to look for certain reactions. The ticket agents and customs people are trained the same way. And the average time from parking lot to plane, 26 minutes. Now they will admit if you are an arab male between 18 and 40 you will get extra attention, but at the time that particular profile fit 97%of the terrorists over there. 11 yrs have passed so that may have changed but they are far better at reading people and telling who is a threat. Our HSA people at the airports could learn a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely correct Tuck about Israel and the development of behavioral profiling. My example with animals was included here because animals are largely non-verbal compared to people. All species do some part of their communicating by vocalizations - birds more so compared to other species for example. That is reflected in the anatomy of their brains compared to human speech centers.

    With very brief and momentary exceptions, animal body language doesn't lie; compared to humans animals are relatively incapable of deception, something I hoped most people would recognize reading this. Humans are capable of deceptive body language, but it is nearly impossible to sustain it for very long, compared to verbal deception.

    Translate that into a variety of observational experiences - for example, the differences sometimes between determination of who won a debate, differing along the lines of who watched the exchanges, who only heard the audio, and who only read a transcript of a debate.

    Sometimes the viewers / readers/ listeners differ quite widely from each other but consistently within those groupings, despite otherwise being relatively neutral evaluaters. A trick I learned while I was a speech communications major in college, with an emphasis in broadcasting --watch a presentation or interview or statement, first with the sound
    on, then with the sound off. The differences in what you observe can be striking, and the more you practice that observation of with sound and without sound, the better you can get at reading those nuances of nonverbal or body language communication.

    This conversation with my father was a memorable one, because my father didn't just take my word for observing different cues than most people. I had to prove it to him, and not just with my own dog, and not just with dogs. But once I had perusaded him there really was merit to what I did, that it worked, he would sometimes ask my opinion of what I observed in adult interactions for my perceptions of people to augment his own, despite my being a child. That continued to be part of our relationship as I matured. I couldn't teach my father to see what I saw for himself, because he was too attached to his preconceptions about appearances, and he was too verbally dependent, which he acknowledged. That is why this post belongs in the Father's Little Dividend series.

    When I train dogs, or am approached to correct a problem dog behavior - working with the dogs is the comparatively easy part, even with dogs deemed dangerous. The hard part is invariably dealing with the preconceptions and assumptions of the owners or other humans involved. How long it takes to change the dogs' behavior is usually a reflection of the difficulty of the human communication, not the dog communication.

    I can only imagine that in Israel, whoever came up with behavioral profiling over other more superficial assumption based profiling had a similarly uphill battle. And likewise, I imagine that success was a potent argument in favor of the behavioral profiling.

    A number of people have disagreed with me about Juan Williams' firing. Juan Williams, in his role as a jouralist, is supposed to strive to be objective DESPITE his emotions; it is his JOB to override those emotions and those preconceptions. He didn't do that in the interview on Fox, and I have not seen Mr. Williams do so since the controversy began. I believe that directly reflects on Mr. Williams capability as a journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Williams’s contributions on Fox raised eyebrows at NPR in the past. In February 2009, NPR said it had asked that he stop being identified on “The O’Reilly Factor” as a “senior correspondent for NPR,” even though that title was accurate.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/business/media/21npr.html
    That pretty much says it all. NPR deals with "reality", while the rest of America deals with reality. Why are conservatives forced to support this B.S. with their tax dollars?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry wrote:"That pretty much says it all. NPR deals with "reality", while the rest of America deals with reality."

    NPR while imperfect is far more reliable for news than Fox So-called News. That would be Fox, home of the fake ACORN scandal perpetrated by James O'Keefe, Fox which I have yet to see correct the Ice-Cream-Bribe-for-Student-Votes story.....and similar examples, ad nauseum.

    I'm sure Terry even you can appreciate that in appearing on the O'Reilly factor as a senior correspondent for NPR, the issue is NOT is that an accurate title, but is it an exploitation of the far better reputation of NPR to give credence to Fox NOT-the-News opinion in a way which NPR found objectionable.

    On that basis, NPR is operating in the one and only reality, regardless of quotation marks inserted by anyone else.

    I tried to open up the story you linked, but was unable to do so, due to this error message:

    "Server Error
    We're sorry, but we are temporarily experiencing a server error. Our systems administrators have been notified and are working to fix the problem. Please wait a few moments, then press Reload or Refresh in your Web browser. If the problem persists, please exit your Web browser and try again. We regret the inconvenience. "

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry also wrote:"Why are conservatives forced to support this B.S. with their tax dollars?"

    Because it is not BS.

    Because everyone else who is not the small percentage, less than a third statistically, you would identify as conservative have had to support far worse B.S., like the war in Iraq initiated under false pretenses with our tax dollars. That bullshit has cost us not only obscene amounts of money, but an obscene amount of lives, American lives and the lives of our allied armed forces, and most of all, the lives of civilians in Iraq. We are less safe because of George W. Bush's administration for 8 years, not more safe, and that is the greatest tragedy of that particular string of conservative B.S.

    Because NPR is the closest thing we in the U.S. have that is equivalent to distinguished services like the BBC in the UK, and the CBC, in Canada. Public Television and Public Radio are treasures for this country, and we should be at least partially financing them with tax dollars. We should be strengthening NPR, not weakening it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Williams called into question his ability to be rational, to be objective, with his statements. THAT is a legitimate basis for NPR to terminate him, particularly when he clearly ignored their requests, requests which were consistent with the industry standards.

    Or, Terry, do you expect NOT to get fired if you not only defy your employers orders, your bosses directives? Would you expect to get fired, if you not only did that, but did so in the most offensively public way possible?

    Williams knew he was an 'at will hire'; he claims to have known that his employer was unhappy with him.

    So.......did he TRY to comply with his employer so as to keep his job? No.

    He got himself fired for doing something he reasonably should have expected would get him fired...and then, with all that juicy publicity and sympathy...he miraculously turns up making a couple MILLION dollars more on Fox News.

    I don't think this was an accident. Anyone who finds this a coincidence needs their heads examined. This event, if not a full-blown stunt, was certainly predictable enough for Williams not to be an accident either. Whenever someone comes out of a controversy like this, so very quickly, richer than they went in, it begs the question was it planned. I personally am cynical enough to wonder - to believe it is probable - that Williams had his little safety net sweetheart deal with Fox in place before, not after, he made his statements. It was just going to be a question of when, and which statements, not IF.

    I would argue that the pressure of disapproval (like that of my dear colleague ToE) brought to bear on NPR was a calculated, intentional bonus benefitting Fox and Williams.

    As a speech communications major, to me, it looks like a masterful spin job. I think Williams and Fox figured the NPR audience would be a sympathetic one to his being fired, while most people outside the profession would be less aware of why what Williams did was wrong for a journalist where it would not have been as wrong for someone who was not a journalist.

    When Mitch suggested to me that I crystalize why I blog, it was to raise and answer the question "is it true". NPR's reasons for Williams firing were legitimate; they were true. People who are interviewed are supposed to give their feelings; journalists are supposed to be objective not subjective / 'feeling' based, especially not irrational feelings.

    It IS irrational to believe that muslims world wide are our enemy, not simply a few extremists. It IS irrational to believe that anyone who "looks" muslim is a threat - given that no one who dressed distinctively muslim has attacked this country. May I point out Terry that it was our cooperation with Saudi Arabia -- you know -- WITH MUSLIMS that was responsible for averting the recent terrorist attack attempts from Yemen. The person you should be afraid of on a flight is NOT the one wearing traditional Saudi clothing.... but more than that? They might make the most interesting person to sit next to for conversation on a flight - if you're smart enough to see it as an opportunity.

    I would. Would you? Maybe you should try it if you find yourself in that situation Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Pen. Over on SitD, there has been an objection voiced to my using the word bigotry, claiming I use it too much.

    Bigotry is when people make mostly negative assumptions about large groups of people, justifying it from observations about a few individuals - that would be for example, when in our own history blacks, hispanics,native americans, and/or asians were considered 'degenerate races' (a phrase used in the discussion of the 1937 Marijuana Act to describe several minorities), asserting they were inferior to whites.

    While the term anti-semitism is often misunderstood to mean exclusively anti-Jewish, or anti-judaism, semite or semitism actually refers to a group of middle-eastern peoples and their various languages - both Jewish AND Arabic.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semitic

    Cultural Dictionary
    Semitic [(suh- mit -ik)]
    A descriptive term for several peoples of the Middle East and their descendants, including Jews and Arabs [emphasis mine] ( see Arab-Israeli conflict). Today the term is mainly applied to Jews. ( See anti-Semitism.)

    The statements of Bill O'Reilly on 'The View' and numerous times on his own program, and God knows the statements of Glenn Beck, and numerous other 'hosts' on Fixed Faked Faux News reflect anti-semitism; that is the specific form of bigotry they practice. It is not anti-Jewish, mostly; but it is anti-semitic by the actual meaning of the word.

    Unreasoning, unreasonable fear of muslims is the same kind of flawed thought that for centuries blamed all Jews for the death of Christ (thank you pope Innocent III for makng THAT official)because of the belief by Christians about the role attributed to the Sanhedrin complaining to Pontius Pilate in the crucifixion passages in the New Testament.

    Blaming or fearing all muslims because of the action of the terrorists from 9/11 is the same process, and an only slightly different target.

    That is the specific bigotry in Juan Williams' statement, made worse by the context of when and where and how he said it. Good for NPR, at least initially, for repudiating that view in firing Juan Williams. That you Terry and some of the other conservatives - or liberals for that matter - don't recognize the bigotry doesn't make it any less wrong, or any less bigotry.

    Bigotry is wrong. Bigoted thinking makes us less safe by encouraging or affirming wallowing in those false assumptions of bigotry over logic and clear, analytical thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because everyone else who is not the small percentage, less than a third statistically, you would identify as conservative have had to support far worse B.S., like the war in Iraq initiated under false pretenses with our tax dollars. That bullshit has cost us not only obscene amounts of money, but an obscene amount of lives, American lives and the lives of our allied armed forces, and most of all, the lives of civilians in Iraq. We are less safe because of George W. Bush's administration for 8 years, not more safe, and that is the greatest tragedy of that particular string of conservative B.S.

    This is an excellent example of what I occasionally call your lack of critical thinking skills.
    There is no similarity between the warmaking powers of the Federal Government and the funding of National Public Radio. The fact you dislike the Iraq War and like NPR is not a basis for making national policy. You can't run a government that way.
    If NPR's editorial stance became closer to that of Fox News you would demand that its funding end. I, at least, am consistent. I am against government funding of any broadcast entities other than that needed for police, fire, national emergency, etc.
    Back in the late 80's and early 90's NPR made a deliberate choice to move away from classical music programming and into talk, news, and news analysis. They did this for fundraising purposes. NPR's demographics are white, middle to upper middle class, and college educated. If you really cared about "social justice" you would be angry at the idea of the poor being taxed to subsidize the entertainment of the bourgeois.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you properly distinguishing between the demographics of donors and the demographics of listeners Terry? They are two different, although overlapping, groups of people and statistics.

    NPR has made a very solid effort to be a reliable news media. I think you confuse what tax funds are used for, which are uses are educational, and where the funds come from for their news division.

    I think you are perhaps pretending not to understand my point which is that our public radio and television is funded by tax dollars voted on by Congresson relying on very open and fact checkable information, and by significant support from the people they represent.

    I agree with the citizens of most developed countries that having an informed electorate is important, that the educational aspects of public media - not JUST entertainment - is important. Looking at the skewing on the right and on the left by privately owned media simply reminds me how easily all sources of information could be owned, and therefore controlled, like Fox 'news' and the Wall Street Journal.

    It has nothing to do with supporting the biase you claim for NPR. I sometimes disagree with their positions and their policies -- and I can affect those decisions by contacting them, and by my donations, as well as by contacting my representatives in Congress.

    How much influence over bias do you think the stock holders have with Fox News? I encourage you to check out the recent exchanges with Rupert Murdoch at a stockholders meeting -- that influence is nil.

    So this is about public access and public interest and at least attempting neutrality, versus privatization abuses Terry.

    We each get a vote today which counts towards our respective view points. That is more than can be said for shareholders of Rupert Murdoch's corporations - his shareholders get bupkis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terry - you too Tuck - agree or disagree, it's nice to have you commenting here. Challenges to points of view are important. So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete