Thursday, June 16, 2011

Anthony Weiner resigns

By Penigma.

As my co-blogger DogGone writes, today NY-D House Rep Anthony Weiner will resign after attempting to "outlive" a scandal which pointed to his lack of fitness to hold the office. He was unfit because he clearly used his power and influence as a seductive tool, both in deluding himself and in offering the "mystique" of being around powerful people to his sexual conquests. He also proved himself unfit by trying to "ride this out" and further giving evidence of his enormous hubris. He embarrassed his office, his supporters and himself not just with his initial conduct, but with crass attitude about recognizing what his responsibilities were now.

Unlike DG, and I do not say this as a criticism, just a difference. I do not condition this condemnation upon any words which hint at "yes, but you do it too." Too often my conservative friends don't care about very reprehensible conduct of their politicians or leaders, but that doesn't matter to me, nor do I think it matters to DG. Clarence Thomas long ago proved his ethical lapses are frequent and myriad. I hold no illusion he will change. His conduct has nothing to do with that of Anthony Wiener's, even tangentially or in contrast. Anthony Wiener did the wrong thing (many times), got caught (which doesn't make what he did MORE or less wrong), and should have immediately stepped down for his own health and that of his family. He should leave public life until his egoism is in better check.

1 comment:

  1. I don't use Clarence Thomas's (alleged) misconduct to justify the misconduct of Weiner, but I can see how it might appear that way. Rather I suggest that it is one of the reasons OTHER than the conduct itself by Weiner, for the call for Weiner's resignation.

    I hope that, since Weiner was one of those most active in pursuing the issue of corruption on the Supreme Court, that his departure won't end that scrutiny.

    ReplyDelete