Monday, October 29, 2012

Morality Derives from Ethics, NOT Religion

We can all agree on what is right and wrong, without being told by a deity that it is wrong to rape, murder, steal, etc.

Apparently when we put those deities in place as the authority for our laws and our ethical standards we have some problems pop up that do not occur when law is, instead, based on that agreement about right and wrong.

Religion is used to enforce conformity, not freedom, and it is all too often not only contrary to freedom of thought and freedom of conscience, but contrary to what is right and good, and better for our nation, our states, and our local communities.  Most of all, too often religion is contrary to what is best for the individual.

7 comments:

  1. YES! I win. My morals are higher than there morals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another comment by J.O.B. that is nothing but waffle words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first comment is meaninigless, your second is mean, not that I particularly care. I do notice that for someone who's very thin skinnned you have no problem with attacking others. Typical republican behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not true Commie, I thought my first comment spoke volumes. Not that you or Dog would know, but I'm always arguing with Conservatives about morals and religion. I contend and always have, that religion does not give us our moral fabric. They contend that it does, then try to explain to me, how my attitude about Gay Marriage and abortion is due to a lack of morals, since I am atheist. I of course disagree. And I'm not thin skinned, it's just something about YOU. I'm sure you're probably a great guy, but you tend to hurl insults at people like no one I've seen. If my Plato reference came off as mean, then I do apologize.

      Delete
  5. J.O.B.:

    Your first comment in no way makes clear which side of the debate you are on. That would be your fault, not anyone else's.

    I'm actually not a nice person, I'm a person who is, at times, nice. Major distinction. BTW, arguing with KKKristianist assholes is a waste of time. If you disagree with people on something as basic as whether or not YOU can be a decent person, sans their superstitious and fabulous belief system, urdoin'itrong. Arguing with idiots is NEVER a good use of one's time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Arguing with idiots is NEVER a good use of one's time."
      You may be correct Commie. But if I argue with 100's of Christians, and just one of them realizes that we do not get our morals from Jesus, then I consider that worth it. Not to mention, that since I am currently out of work, I have nothing but time. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

      Delete